Surely you have ever wondered which are the best PC video player for all formats that you can use on both Windows 10 or Mac and Android or iOS. For this reason, and to try to help you resolve this question, I have made a list of the most popular programs or software on the market.
Which PC video player to download on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS?
Table of Contents
If you are one of those who want to download a PC video player for all formats and multi platforms, in this first part, I want to show you the ones that you can use in general on Windows, Mac, Android, or iPhone.
1. VLC Media Player– PC video player
It is completely free software, easy to install and capable of supporting all existing formats without the need to constantly install codecs.
Among its advantages, it is worth highlighting the following:
- It’s completely free.
- Capable of playing any format: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3, etc.
- Supports HD, 4k, (including new 8k), 360-degree images and network content.
- Available on almost all operating systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS and Android
- Valid for Windows, Mac, iOs and Android.
- You can read and play subtitles without problems.
- Open-source software, which is supported by a large community of users, as well as constant updates.
- Its functionalities can be expanded by adding extensions.
Negative points of VLC:
It is difficult to find negative points about this player for all file formats, but I have highlighted some that could be improved because as you will see, it is more about aesthetics and in no case real reasons to stop using it:
- Few customization options.
- Very simple playback window.
2. DivX Player– PC video player
The DivX Player team is known for developing the DivX format, which allows large movies to be compressed into much smaller files without loss of quality.
This is why DivX Player was born as the first option to incorporate the DivX codec for playing videos compressed in this format. In any case, currently it is a video player capable of supporting a large number of formats, especially high definition, hevc and DivX.
After trying it, I can highlight some positive points of this player:
- For Mac and Windows.
- Wide variety of audio playback options.
- Compatible with all versions of DivX.
- Play files in high definition without loss of quality.
- Support for subtitles and playlists.
- It can function as a media server on a network with DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) devices.
- Compatibility with the HEVC format widely used in cameras like the GoPro.
- Completely free.
And like all these programs, it also has disadvantages:
- Contains advertisements.
- Other programs like VCL have more format compatibility.
3. KMPlayer- PC video player
The developers of Pandora TV launched this PC video player on the market years ago. Currently, KMPlayer is very updated and can play almost all existing formats.
In addition, it is a cross-platform software compatible with Windows, Mac and Android.
Among the aspects that will surprise you favorably, it is worth highlighting:
- Play in high resolution 4k and 8k.
- Supports 3D videos.
- Great compatibility with most of today’s formats.
- It is a lightweight program that does not consume too many resources.
- Completely free and free of advertising in playback mode.
- Lots of features.
Its most important disadvantages are:
- Has advertising on the main screen
- In some versions, when you install the program, they ask you if you want to download your own browser sponsored by Yahoo . It is not a disadvantage in itself, but I have found it a little annoying since it forces you to read each installation step in detail if you do not want to fill your computer with unwanted software.
- The initial version may not recognize some codecs and you will need to update them.
4. 5K Player
5k Player is free, multi-platform software that specializes in playing high-definition as well as more traditional formats.
In addition, 4K player allows you to stream, listen to the radio, and download videos from platforms such as YouTube, DailyMotion, and Vimeo, among others.
It is important that you know that its strengths are:
- It allows you to download videos from different platforms: Facebook, Yahoo, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Vevo, Metacafe, Myspace, Vine, UStream, MTV, Instagram, Bliptv, LiveLeak, and CBS slideshare.
- Plays almost all formats, including high-definition ones such as HDR 4k/8k in MP4, H.265/264, VP8/VP9, MTS, MKV and VR 360.
- Compatible with AirPlay and DLNA.
- Compatibility with iPhone, Mac, and Windows 10.
- Great audio playback quality.
- It is a free program.
As with the other previous programs, it has some “buts”:
- Contains advertisements for products from the same company.
- Unattractive interface and no possibility of customization.
Kodi, formerly also known as Xbox Media Center, is a multimedia center that originally became famous for being compatible with the first Xbox.
Being a multimedia center, it not only plays all types of video formats but also serves to view photos and play music.
In addition, it is open source and completely free software, compatible with Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, and Raspberry Pi.
You will love this video player for the following reasons:
- Compatible with almost all existing platforms.
- Is free.
- Clean and clear interface
- It is considered a multimedia center due to the number of options it offers us.
- It is a modular program that can be expanded with new functionalities according to the user’s needs. It currently consists of more than 900 features that you can add created by the community, giving it unlimited potential and variety of options.
- Allows customization of the interface.
- Compatible con Chromecast.
- Compatible with most formats.
Its most notable disadvantages are:
- It has so many features that it can be difficult to get used to at first.
- If you only want to use it to play videos on your computer, there are other programs that are easier to learn and just as good.
The world of PC video players has evolved significantly to cater to the diverse needs and preferences of users. Whether you’re a casual viewer or a multimedia enthusiast, there is a PC video player that suits your requirements.
These software solutions offer a range of features, from high-quality playback and support for various formats to customization options and advanced controls. Whether you’re watching movies, streaming content, or playing videos from various sources, the right PC video player can enhance your experience and make it more enjoyable.